BP Privacy: An Update

This is an update on BP Privacy. I felt that it was important to communicate its current status. I also think that it is necessary to address a few who are claiming that BP Privacy is very late, for instance this statement that it is “at least 14 months late now“.

First off, whereas it is true that two-and-a-half months have passed since the initially-announced release date of the first public version of BP Privacy (version 1.0), I never promised that a public version of BP Privacy would be released before then. I had mentioned several times in the past, and in several places, that I was hoping to release a beta2, but I never set a firm date on a production-ready, public version until my above referenced post. So comments that BP Privacy is very late (as in over a year) are not valid.

Secondly, BP Privacy will be finished when it is finished. I am hoping that is soon, but the reality is that it will be released when it’s released. You get what you pay for. I am not under contract to produce BP Privacy, I am not getting paid by anyone to provide free software to the community. This is an all volunteer effort. Attempts to goad any developer into accelerating the pace at which they are offering you free software are usually unproductive.

However, having said that, I will mention that I share a couple of the concerns expressed in the BuddyPress Theme Converts post. I may elaborate on this in an upcoming article on the history of BP Privacy and the lessons learned—to be published once BP Privacy has been released.

Note: I have received a very, very modest amount of funds via people who purchased a BuddyPress Privacy Component Support Plan at the pre-launch pricing and a marginal amount of ad revenue. I have not yet used any of those funds. They remain in my PayPal account and I may very well refund them. But these funds are not donations to the development work. They are pre-paid fees that purchase a bit of my time in supporting the plugin once released or a leasing fee for real estate on the BP Privacy site.

1. Thanks for the update! Is raising donations for development work an option : )

Thanks for the suggestion. As you can see in the link below, I tried the donation route almost one year ago. It was a big failure. It would be even less likely to succeed today as people have been waiting a very long time and would rightfully question whether their donations would result in any progress.

As an unfortunate rule, developers of WordPress plugins receive very few donations—on average a lot less than 1% of all users will donate. That has been my experience with my handful of released plugins.

For those of use who choose not take on clients, who do not wish to become consultants, who are not interested in work for hire, this is a big< .em> issue.

2. Doug Daulton says:

Jeff,

All good things to those who wait. While many of us are looking forward to the plugin, no one should be pressuring you to deliver what is essentially a service to the community.

Thanks for your hard work. I am sure it will be worth it when it arrives.

DD

3. iair s. says:

Just wanted to thank you for your efforts on bp-privacy. I wonder if it isn’t already at a pre-alpha state, so you could release it as pre-alpha and letting private community builders start testing it before a final release. In my case, I haven’t figured out yet if it will fit my needs for a private community. Perhaps it will be a great plugin, but just not what I’m looking for.
    Thank you again.
    Iair.

4. Jeff Sayre says:

Thanks the comments!

5. Matias says:

Thank you Jeff, you inspire me… keep up the good work and like you said, when it’s done.. it’s done… in coding, it’s so hard to speculate a date since, one function will work today, but tomorrow with a new may conflict… so unpredictable. Keep it up, and DON’T GIVE UP. Not because I really want the plugin, but because you will be making a different in thousands or perhaps millions of people around the world…

6. Joe O says:

I just want to add to what others have been saying: thank you for what has obviously been an extraordinary amount of work in pursuit of functionality that is much needed and that really will have a wide, beneficial impact on social networking–both in the short run, and especially over time.

I also very much appreciate your other post on the challenges that attend this type of development project. I wonder if donations might follow the delivery of the product. It seems in this day and age that everyone’s from Missouri!

Thanks again for such a sustained effort to make BP Privacy available.