BuddyPress Featured Members Plugin Widget Re-Released

After dragging my feet for too long, I’ve finally upgraded and updated my old Featured Members Widget to work with WP/MU 2.9.2 and BuddyPress 1.2.3. The code has been entirely rewritten using the WordPress Plugin API.

This re-released version is what I call a plugin widget as it is a BuddyPress-specific widget and must be activated like other BP plugins. Widget installation is handled this way so that if BuddyPress is not activated, then this plugin widget will not be loaded—which could cause issues with your WP site. The widget does an internal check to see if BuddyPress is activated, if so then it continues loading. If not, it stops loading and will not be visible in the widget gallery. The widget is automatically activated sitewide so your other members will not see it in their plugins section if you’re running a multisite install.

Download BuddyPress Featured Members Plugin Widget and Donate!

You can download version 1.2 of the BuddyPress Featured Members Plugin Widget from the WordPress Plugin Repository. Even more excitingly, you can help me support this plugin, encourage me to create new ones, and enable me to keep living by selecting a sponsorship level below and clicking the “Pay Now” button. Thank you!

Sponsorship Levels

If you are a corporate user, consultant, plugin developer, or theme designer and profit from using my plugin, please consider donating at one of the upper levels. Thank you!

Using the Plugin Widget

Please read the readme.txt file for installation and usage instructions. If you have any issues, please leave a comment in this post, or visit the support forum for this plugin widget.

1. popsicles says:

How can I manually install or put this widget. I mean adding it to a certain area of the site without doing it in APPEARANCEC > WIDGET?

2. gina says:

hello,

is it possible to enlarge the size of the picture of the member? if yes, how?

thanks,
    gina

3. Matthew says:

Hello

I’m inserting this this field data into your widget. It shows the bio only when on that specific members profile at http://emdrinaction.net/members/clubow/ , but when you go to any other part of the site, the bio information disappears. Is there anything that I can do, so that it always shows.

Thanks

I’m not sure exactly what you are asking. A member’s profile will only show up on their profile page. The Featured Members Widget does not do anything other than display the name, and avatar of, and also provide a link to, those members whose ID numbers you enter in the widget’s admin box. From what I can see, it is working just fine.

4. Alex Starz says:

Hi Jeff,
    i like to donate for your buddypress-featured-members-plugin-widget, but i’m using WP 3.01 with the lastes Buddypress Version. And i think it’s not working in this combination, is it?
    Please let me know. Thank you.
    Regards from Ibiza
    Alex

It works fine on my dev site running BuddyPress 1.2.5.2 and WP 3.0. So, I would be surprised if it didn’t work with 3.0.1 as that is a very minor upgrade. If you are running the branch version of BuddyPress or a development trunk version of WordPress, that could be the issue.

Does it activate alright? Can you see it in the Widgets management window?

5. Alex Starz says:

Your words: “I’ve finally upgraded and updated my old Featured Members Widget to work with WP/MU 2.9.2 and BuddyPress 1.2.3. The code has been entirely rewritten…”
    But time goes fast! I love this plugin but it does’nt work with the latest versions. Hope you bring it back to live. Thank you and all the best from Ibiza

6. HIM says:

Hi Jeff

on the site above only the avatar shows, but not the members name?

Aloha

7. Aaron says:

I’ve installed the “Featured Member Widget” but no widget appears in admin. So, what have I done incorrectly?

What versions of WP and BP are you running? As per the plugin page in the WP repo, this widget is “Compatible up to: WP/MU 2.9.2, BuddyPress 1.2.3″. So, it is not currently supported in newer versions.

However, it appears to work fine with in my testbed setup which is running WP 3.0.3 and BP 1.2.6. But, I am using the default theme. So, if you cannot find the widget under “Appearances > Widgets”, then switch to the default theme and see if that makes a difference.

8. Aaron says:

WP 3.0.3 BP 1.2.6 Theme is “Citizen Kane” … not certain how a theme would block a widget form getting installed AND I’m not willing to give up on this theme … and kinda afraid to flip the theme just to check as I’ve had an experience or two of losing customization on a WP site by doing that.

Maybe I’ll wait for a new version. Thanks anyway.

If your theme is not fully BP compatible then there could be some missing or altered functions that might cause this type of behavior. They only way to verify is to switch to the default BP theme and see if the behavior changes—in other words, the widget works. But, I understand your hesitancy to try.

Alternatively, if you have a bp-custom.php file, there could be some conflicting code in one of the functions within that file. Finally, it could be a conflict with another plugin, possibly another 3rd-party widget. The only way to figure that out would be to deactivate your plugins one at a time until the BP Featured Members Widget shows up and functions properly.

When trying to figure out such issues, the given environment must be distilled down to the lowest common denominator. That usually always means switching to the BP Default theme first, before trying anything else. If you’re still having issues, you then start deactivating plugins one at a time. This is done with the BP Default theme still activated. You keep doing this until all other plugins are deactivated. If you still can’t get it to work while using the BP Default theme, it may very well be an issue with the plugin in question. But, it could still be something else. At that stage, you need to check your server’s error logs for possible clues.

As I am not having issues with this widget under WP 3.0.3/BP 1.2.6/BP default theme, I do not plan to update it as there are no known bugs to fix at this time. I have zero errors in my various log files.

If you do decide to test it out under the BP Default theme, the same advice applies as always. Make sure that you’ve completely backed up your MySQL DB, theme files, plugins files, and any other data just in case. If it works with the BP Default theme, but not your custom theme, then that is an issue with your theme and not the widget.

9. Neil says:

Howdy! I love the idea and what I’ve read, but when I install it I just don’t see a widget. I tried deactivating most plugins, but to no avail. Any quick ideas, what I can check?

10. Vida says:

Same issue here as Neil, above. I am using the latest version of WordPress with the latest version of Buddypress and would very much like to use this plugin, but do not see the widget appearing anywhere.

Can you please help?

Thanks for stopping by, Vida. I have not updated this plugin in a long time and currently have no plans to do so. There have been so many changes to WordPress and BuddyPress since this plugin was last updated that it would take significant effort to update it to the current versions of WP an BP. The plugin is only compatible with WP/MU 2.9.2 and BuddyPress 1.2.3 — as stated in the read me.txt file and the WP Plugin Repository.

11. Vida says:

That is kind of sad though :( Because this is a fantastic plugin and very useful. I hope you will one day find the time to offer us the updated version.

Much grateful;

Vida

12. Deirdre says:

Installed this plugin on a BuddyPress & WPMU installation. It WILL not show up on the widgets page. It shows installed on the WPMU plugin list. Tried using Network Activate & Deactivated… nothing works.

Not sure what else to try?

13. Samuel Than says:

Hi Jeff,

How much does it take to get you to get you to update your code to support the latest wordpress and buddypress :)
    Email me if you still up for it.

14. hell sir i am big fan of your plugin i updated your plugin now its working fine and also added new option like image size, and read more link to member page. just provide me your email id so i can mail it to you so user can again use your plugin … thankyou
    Note please don’t approve comment ignore if you are not interested

Thanks for the comment. I am no longer supporting any of my WordPress or BuddyPress plugins. In fact, it has been almost 2 years since I stopped updating them.

I suggest you create your own WordPress.org account, rename the plugin, and upload it as your own. Just give me credit in your plugin for my original contribution as is common courtesy in the open source community. All you need to do is provide a link to my website to do so. You do that by mentioning me and my website in the commented-out section of the plugin’s header.